Course Title : Numerical Computation for Chemical Engineering

Code 70820
Course Year 3rd year
Term
Class day & Period
Location
Credits 2
Restriction No Restriction
Lecture Form(s)
Language Japanese
Instructor Masahiro Ohshima, Shinsuke Nagamine,

Course Description

Solving several Chemical Engineering problems with computer language, Visual Basic (VBA) in Excel, the students earn the basic computational skills for engineering calculations. They will be learing how to solve the linear and nonlinear algebraic equations, differential equations, integral and linear and nonlinear least square method for parameter fittings

Grading

The submission of all homework assignments will be worth 40% of the final grade. The term end exam will be evaluated for the rest of the 60 % of the final grade.

Course Goals

The goals of this course is to write computer programming codes by students themselves for solving the simple Chemical Engineering Problems.

Course Topics

Theme Class number of times Description
How to solve the Algebraic Equation After the orientation and introduction of class, the simple chemical engineering problems that can be formulated by algebraic equations are assigned to solve with VBA.
How to solve the differential equation After learning the Euler, RKG methods for solving the differential equations, the students work on the calculation of chemical reactor.
How to integrate 2 After learning computer algorithm, like Simpson method, a calculation of a sedimentation and separation process is solved.
How to manipulative the matrix and vector 2 The programming codes for performing basic matrix calculations will be taught first, Then, the students will develop a computer program to derive a linear regression model from the data using the matrix calculation codes.
1
How to solve the partial differential equation 2 The scheme of approximating the partial differential equation with difference equations for computer calculation is taught.
non-linear least square method for parameter fittng 2 The students will learn Non-linear least square method after understading the steepest descent method and Newtonian method.
3
Exercise with some selected problem 1 Review the entire course and perform Question and Answer. Some selected chemical engineering problem may be given to exercise and self-score own computer programming skill.

Textbook

Text will be prepared by the tutors

Textbook(supplemental)

Exercise of Chemical Engineering Programming.
Programming for Chemical Engineering with Basic

Prerequisite(s)

Excel is to be used. The basic operation of computer and excel is prerequisite.

Web Sites

Additional Information

The first 30 minutes of the class will be devoted for explaining theory and basic computational scheme needed to solve the assignment of the day. Then, Move to the computer room and solve the assignment by using the computer.